So, what are the many uses of eggshells? Many years of raising chickens have taught me one important lesson; nothing should go to waste. When I say nothing should be thrown away I mean everything related to poultry products. And one of the poultry products that most people overlook its significance is the eggshell. Read on to find out what you can do with eggshells.
Eggshells have numerous applications that will blow your mind. From improving your garden to clearing your skin and kicking the pests out to eating them, eggshells are a useful poultry product that you shouldn’t ignore.
Some people have no idea how useful eggshells are. To them, eggshells are just a valueless poultry product that should go to waste. If you are one of them, this is the time to change your perception once and for all. Eggshells are quite useful in many different ways. With that in mind, let’s narrow our views to the many uses of eggshells in our day-to-day life.
A Nourishing Face Mask
- Do you know you can nourish your face using eggshells as your face mask? If not, then be ready to learn how you can transform your facial appearance with the help of eggshells.
- A powder of eggshells mixed with an egg white acts as a powerful skin tightening face mask.
- First, pulverize a few dried eggshells using a mortar and pestle. A powerful blender can even do better. Then whisk the mixture (eggshell powder) before blending it with an egg white.
- Apply the content all over your face to nourish it. Let your newly created face mask dry for a while before rinsing it off.
Treatment of Skin Irritations
- If you have been experiencing skin irritations lately, the remedy for your condition is cheaper than you ever thought. And this remedy lies in eggshells.
- Drop a few eggshells into a clean container. Add a small amount of apple cider vinegar to the shells in the container and let the mixture stay for a week or so. Then dab this mixture of apple cider vinegar and eggshells on your itchy skin to relieve the pain.
As a Powerful Cleanser
- Do you have a problem with washing pans and pots? If yes, your ultimate solution to your problem is the eggshells. Ground eggshells have a reputation of being non-toxic, abrasive and powerful cleansers for tough-to-clean cooking utensils.
- To make them more effective, grind and mix them with some soapy water for cleaning pans and pots. Scrub these utensils and then rinse them with clean warm water to remove the stains completely.
Useful in the Garden
- Eggshells are a rich source of calcium including other minerals that are essential for your garden to thrive. For this reason, you can use them as fertilizers to make plants in your garden grow faster.
- Crush some eggshells into small pieces and put them in the holes that you are intending to plant your favorite crops. Add a few crushed eggshells around the base of your crops every two weeks for better results.
The Can Deter Common Garden Pests
- Apart from using eggshells as fertilizer, you can also use them to deter common pests such as snails, slugs and stray cats.
- All you have to do is to crush some eggshells and spread them around your flowers and vegetables. The texture of the ground eggshells will help keep garden pests away.
They are Suitable For Growing Seedlings
- Eggshells are suitable for starting some seedlings. So if you are looking for cheaper containers to grow your seedlings in, try the eggshells.
- Fill a few egg cartons with clean eggshell halves in readiness for your project. Poke one hole in each shell for drainage before adding potting soil and two seeds to every shell. Allow them to sprout and grow to the right size before transplanting them outside.
A Great Powdered Calcium Supplement
- Forget about the costly pills and other dietary supplements when it comes to acquiring calcium. Just bake some eggshells for eight minutes at 530 degrees to create powdered calcium supplement.
- Allow them to cool and crush them to create a fine powder full of calcium. Add your powdered calcium supplement ( at least, a teaspoon) to your favorite juice or smoothie once per day.
As a Laundry Whitener
- If you are tired of buying commercial whiteners, then you should consider turning to your chicken’s eggshells. Instead of throwing away these shells, just toss a few of them in a mesh bag in readiness for some laundry action. Then place the mesh bag in the laundry to remove the gray tint from your whites.
As a Perfect Yolk Separator
- Don’t be carried away with the fancy gadgets you see at your local store. These devices will not give you good results when separating the yolk from the main content of an egg. Instead, you can use an old-fashioned technique involving an eggshell.
- To achieve this feat, crack one egg into two and gently pour the white content into a clean bowl. The moment the white part of the egg starts tugging at its yolk, reach out to the old eggshell.
- Use the jagged edge of the shell to separate the yolk from the white. This is a simple yet effective way of separating the yolk from the egg white.
To Remove Stubborn Stains from the Thermos
- If you love coffee, you know the consequences of brewing it in a thermos. Over a certain period of using your thermos to prepare your coffee, a brown film starts to develop right inside this beverage container.
- However much you try to wash or scrub the brown stain, it does not come out. But there’s a lasting solution to this age-old problem. Eggshells can remove stubborn stains from your thermos in a matter of minutes.
- Add a combination of crushed eggshells and warm/hot water into the thermos. Close the thermos and shake it vigorously for a few minutes. This combination should help you to remove all the stains from the thermos, leaving it better than before.
To Clean Your Sink
- If your dream is to make the sink in your kitchen clean and spotless, you should consider using eggshells. Keep a few loose shells down the sink when washing up. Small eggshell pieces will prevent food solids from reaching down the drain during your routine wash up.
- As the shells start to break into tiny pieces, they act as an abrasive to clean your drain pipes. As a result, your sink will become clean and spotless.
To Make Your Pets Strong
- Crushed eggshells play a crucial role in adding extra calcium to your pets. Spread clean eggshells on a baking sheet in order to bake them at 250 degrees Celsius for half an hour.
- Transfer the baked shells to a plastic bag, seal it and grind the shells until they become a fine powder. Take the powder and sprinkle over your pet’s food. The calcium in these shells will boost your pet’s strength in addition to promoting its health.
To Make Decorative Candles
- Instead of disposing of eggshells, you can turn them into decorative candles. This sounds like a fairy tale although you can transform eggshells into something fascinating using candles. These shells make perfect vessels for DIY candles at home.
- Simply melt a certain amount of candle wax into clean, dry eggshells and add a wick in each one of these shells. With candles sitting upright in the shallow eggshells, light them and place them at strategic positions within your house.
As a Knife Sharpener
- You don’t have to waste your hard-earned cash buying knife sharpeners when you can use eggshells to sharpen your knives. Take unused eggshells and turn them into a sharpener.
- But before you do that, place the eggshells in a freezer to make them a little bit harder for this task.
- After they are frozen, you can use them to sharpen your knives. Run the knives across the frozen solid eggshells to create sharper edges. This is a simple and affordable way of keeping your cutlery set sharp all the time.
As DIY Ornaments
- Eggshells can decorate your home for Christmas, Easter or during any special occasion. In this case, you will need some fresh eggs from your coop or a store near you.
- Once you have the eggs you will gently make a hole at the bottom of each eggshell using a sharp pin. Then you will blow the air inside of the eggs to decorate them however you like. This a fun craft that you can do together with your kids.
What is the main reason for using eggshells for various applications? The main idea is to save money and time you would spend looking for particular items for your daily use.
Does the size of eggshells matter when putting them into good use? The answer is no. Any size of the eggshell is useful as long as you know what you want to make out of it.
Eggshells are very useful in many different ways. You can use them for decoration or as a source of calcium supplements and so on. What you need is the right knowledge and a few eggshells to accomplish your mission.
Below is a Pinterest friendly photo…. so you can pin it to your Chicken Board!!